The United Kingdom’s Ambition for a 70GW Solar Market
Time: 11:40 - 12:20
Date: Day One of 2024 Solar Finance and Investment Europe Summit
Theatre: Stream Two
The UK Government has established the Solar Taskforce in collaboration with industry, tasked with putting into action the nation’s target to increase solar capacity by nearly fivefold by 2035 – this would amount to a 70GW solar market. Considering the strong appetite for solar across the British political landscape, barriers to deployment and uptake of opportunities are the only obstacle to unlocking the UK Solar market. What challenges and opportunities lie ahead for established players, new market entrants and the sector more broadly?
- With a national election on the horizon, what would a change of government mean for UK solar?
- The progress on accelerating waiting times for planning and grid connection of solar projects
- How is the UK addressing workforce shortfalls to deliver 2035 ambitions?
- With storage being a focus for the UK solar taskforce and electricity system operator, how is the co-located energy storage opportunity evolving in the UK market?
- How is the commercial and industrial rooftop solar market shaping up?
- The growing opportunities in large-scale ground-mount solar
- Shane O’Connor Barriers to Clean Electrification Lead - Energy Transitions Commission